httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: rsh sources?
Date Wed, 17 Jan 1996 17:54:29 GMT

> I installed 1.2.12 because there are some fixes that are specific
> to BSD machines, and the newer version  does compression. Not to
> mention support for keep-alive, etc.
>
> *Why* do you need to "SOCKSify" it?

Weel I'd guess it's because he's behind a firewall where everything
goes through socks or he has to hide "false" ip addresses on an internal
net from the outside world.

Socks is a good way to run an internal network with only a single
dial-up ip address since certainly in the UK ISP's only give you one
ip address for a dial-up subscription so if you have lots of machines
on an internal lan you have to give them unregistered ip addresses and
then run socks on the dial-up machine so that the outside world only ever
sees the real ip address of the dial-up machine.

Of course, he may have a completely different reason and he's a big boy and
can probably speak for himself but those are the usual reasons for using
socks :-)

--
  Paul Richards. Originative Solutions Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)