httpd-dev mailing list archives

From d...@ast.cam.ac.uk (David Robinson)
Subject Re: Number of Virtual Servers
Date Fri, 22 Dec 1995 15:03:00 GMT
>I'm not in the position of trying to run with large numbers of virtual
>hosts here, so my comments may be a bit off base.  Still, I haven't seen
>much reaction to the suggestion of having a single log file with entries
>labeled with the vhost, for later splitting if necessary; this neatly
>handles the descriptor hogging problem.  Any comments?

I agree (obviously). We would supply a splitting program.

The user could pipe the transfer log directly to the splitting program;
however, there would be a problem with large writes over a pipe getting
intermingled.

The POSIX requirement is that 512 byte writes are atomic;  I know about
Solaris which has
#define   PIPE_BUF        5120    /* max # bytes atomic in write to a pipe */

 David.