httpd-dev mailing list archives

From d...@ast.cam.ac.uk (David Robinson)
Subject Re: CVS and generalising connections
Date Fri, 22 Dec 1995 12:46:00 GMT
>I'm all for getting the module API finalised first (meaning first _after_
>installing CVS). I wasn't aware that it wasn't finalised (unless you mean this
>connection abstraction stuff) - what's missing?

A structure element for the name of module.

My other complaint is the overloaded use of the mime-type of the file.
Apache uses this to
1. Determine which handler to invoke.
2. What mime type to return for the data object.

These should really be separated; this would avoid the
text/x-server-parsed-html3 hack. It would also enable content-negotation
on CGI scripts, directories, etc; for example,
/cgi-bin/format.html
would be known to return text/html;
subdira.en/
would be known to contain English documents.

Other examples
AddHandler cgi cgi

foobar.html.cgi  is a script that returns HTML.

Or, in a .htaccess file
#parse all .html files
AddHandler include html

And if handlers are 'functions' that take parameters, then we could have
#automatically convert .ms to html
AddType text/html ms
AddHandler cgi("/cgi-bin/ms2html") ms

#only parse if executable
AddHAndler include(xbithack) html

Clearly, for compatibility we would have
AddType text/x-server-parsed-html yyy
equivalent to
AddType text/html yyy
AddHandler include yyy