httpd-dev mailing list archives

From d...@ast.cam.ac.uk (David Robinson)
Subject Re: Number of Virtual Servers
Date Thu, 14 Dec 1995 18:53:00 GMT
>I would guess you can handle around 50 at that limit. If you have
>the setrlimit() function, the server should bump this limit as it
>adds VirtualHosts IF you have set HAVE_RESOURCE in conf.h for A/UX.
>
>The problem I ran into was that the code in conf_virtual_host()
>was not uping this limit for SUNOS.

I think we will soon have to give up having all the log files open in
each process. When the HTTP Host: header gains wide use, admins won't
be limited by the number of interfaces they have have on a subnet; it
will be possible to use CNAME records to define virtual hosts.

Then > 256 virtual hosts will not be an uncommon requirement.

 David.