httpd-dev mailing list archives

From d...@ast.cam.ac.uk (David Robinson)
Subject Re: UnixWare 2.x patch
Date Thu, 14 Dec 1995 16:21:00 GMT
>From: Tony Sanders <sanders@bsdi.com>
>Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 14:05:23 -0600
>
>Chuck Murcko writes:
>> Here's a patch to get Apache compiled on UnixWare 2.x. Like Ben and
>> others have said in the past, rfc931.c needs to get rewritten, so I have
>> opted not to touch conf.h, only Configuration and rfc931.c. I would
>> recommend considering this a temporary measure, pending rewrite of
>> rfc931.c.
>
>Here is my rewrite of rfc931.c -- enjoy.

This is much better than the original, thanks. However, this code looks as
though it has the interesting effect of killing the httpd child 8 minutes
after a failed ident request...

Also, could I make a plea for new Apache code not to use alarm()?
Apart from the fact that you can only have one alarm at a time,
the use of signals is somewhat tricky in a multithreaded environment.

For rfc931.c, it could more easily implement a timeout by use of a select()
before the write() and read().

 David.