httpd-dev mailing list archives

From d...@ast.cam.ac.uk (David Robinson)
Subject Re: Patch 62
Date Wed, 13 Dec 1995 16:26:00 GMT
>I'm at WWW4, so I really don't have time to do a full patch evaluation.
>Accordingly, I have no opinion on the escape_html patch for inclusion in
>the 1.1 tree.  However, I vote -1 on it for 1.0.x --- its effect is to
>reintroduce code which was commented out of the original NCSA directory
>indexing because it caused problems.  I'm not sure I know what those
>problems are, but given the amount of time we've had to look it over and
>test it (i.e., none), it seems clear that the only way we're going to
>find out is the hard way, and that is not the sort of thing I want in
>a 1.0.x release.  (It seems clear that in at least one reasonable person's
>judgment in the past, Rob McCool's, these problems that it causes, whatever
>they are, are worse than the problems it cures).

The 'problem' was that a niave (i.e. stupid) use of escape_html resulted
in misaligned columns in directory listings, i.e

 Name                   Last modified     Size  Description

   Parent Directory       13-Dec-95 12:52      -
   0file.html             13-Dec-95 13:17     0K
   afile.file             13-Dec-95 13:09     0K
   less<than           13-Dec-95 13:14     1K
   wibble&wommble     13-Dec-95 13:19     1K

I have of course ensured that my patch does not generate this problem.

>To put it another way, I think that further 1.0.x releases should be for
>*critical* bugfixes only, and this simply does not meed my threshold for
>criticality.  If you don't like it, get started on 1.1.

Then what are we waiting for?
There are only two such patches, 57a.recurse and 59.scoreboard_race.
We should release 1.0.1 with these patches immediately.

 David.