httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "nph- scripts don't run...?" on Linux
Date Fri, 29 Dec 1995 00:48:40 GMT
On Fri, 22 Dec 1995, sameer wrote:
> > An nph- CGI program is one that sends its own HTTP response headers to the
> > client, so the server just passes the CGI output through and doesn't add
> > headers.  The server identifies programs as such by looking at the first
> > 4 characters of the program name to see if it matches "nph-".  It makes
> > little sense to have an nph- program run from an include, which is why
> > Apache refuses to do so.
>
> 	It's not just that, but NPH programs directly talk to the
> socket on which the client is connected. (Kinda makes protocol
> abstraction impossible.)

Hmm, I wonder if it makes sense to change the definition of what nph- does
from "makes stdout point directly to the client's socket, and disconnect from
the server process" to "read n bytes per read rather than 8K" where "n" is
something low, like 16.  I know that the only time I use nph- is to do things
like server-push, so that stuff streams constantly rather than in chunks, as
do others.  What situations would that cause problems in?  I remember reading
Andrew's complaint that Netscape demanded separate Cookie: fields and that to
set multiple cookies on a request one would need to use an nph script... can
that be fixed somehow?  What else do we need nph- for?

	Brian