httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Module requirements?
Date Tue, 05 Dec 1995 06:18:40 GMT

One last piece of email before I leave for the night...

I would like to collect some people's thoughts as to what should be made
requirements for modules to be elegible for inclusion with the core
Apache code.  It seems like some problems have been caused by a lack of
understanding as to what default behaviors should be.  I have come up with
a short list:

1)  The module must not do anything unless module-specific directives are
turned on in a conf file.  (i.e., mod_referer doesn't start logging unless
there's an explicit LogReferer field, or httpd/send-as-is unless it's
added either via AddType or by existing in the mime.types file).

2)  The module must list any conflicts with any other distribution patches
(and the goal should be to avoid conflicts - for example, mod_log_config
could probably be modified to coexist peacefully with mod_log_common) [1]

3)  All lookups/calls which might return a NULL pointer should handle
that case gracefully. (yeah, just good coding practice in general, but
we've seen enough problems related to that)

4)  Errors should be logged - fatal errors should have their failures
explained.

Anyone want to add anything?  I'd like to put this into a document on the
live site, and then apply it to existing modules.

	Brian

[1] - to make this easier on the server admin, it would probably behoove
us to make the configuration files parser more lenient, only giving a
warning if it finds a directive it doesn't understand instead of exiting
completely.