httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <>
Subject Re: The madness has started...
Date Tue, 05 Dec 1995 05:52:14 GMT
On Sun, 3 Dec 1995, Paul Richards wrote:

> > No big deal. I have a 1.0.1 source release packaged and ready to
> > be put on hyperreal. We can then begin building and providing
> > binaries as well. The sooner we make a decision, the fewer people
> > out there will have 1.0.0.
> >
> > All I need is some group support.
> I don't think an immediate 1.0.1 release is a good idea.
> 1) An update this quick makes the group look incompetent
> 2) There'll be other probems found as time goes by.
> It'd be better to just accept that 1.0 has a few problems, collect the
> patches over the next few weeks and release 1.0.1 just before christmas with
> all the little glitches that have been found ironed out.

I agree.  I think in principle we should have a patchlevel release every
month or so, given a constant stream of bugfixes.  I'm all for making
those available in a /dist/patches directory so that ambitious people can
get them even before the next patchlevel release (though I would put
nothing there before it's been approved by the group).

> For 1.1 I'd suggest that an alpha and beta *release* cycle takes place. i.e.
> the potential release code is actually made publically available as though
> it was an actual release but is clearly marked as being alpha or beta
> software so that it gets widely used to find the various bugs that the
> regular developers might not come across

Sounds good to me.

Someone want to code this up into an HTML doc and put it on the server?

View raw message