httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <>
Subject Re: sponsorship of
Date Sat, 02 Dec 1995 06:57:04 GMT
On Fri, 1 Dec 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> This conversation is interesting but it's getting hazzy. Reassure me
> that we're not heading towards becoming sellers of Apache and that
> we're no going to sell the project as a whole to some company.

We're not at all.  This company has a long history of supporting public
domain projects, of all companies this is probably the safest one in that

Okay, it sounds like most people think that just a faster machine
wouldn't help the Apache Group that much, and while Hyperreal is often
loaded these days during the middle of the day, I'll agree to that.  So
what if I add these items to the wish list:

1) better connectivity - both through web site mirroring around the globe
on the company's network, and getting somewhere near a
fatter pipe than it's on now.

2) engineering support - an engineer or two from the company should join
the project in ernest.

I would add that we would get more than a faster machine, we'd be getting
a big fat stamp of approval from the company that they support our
efforts and that this is a Good Thing, and while Apache does stand on its
own merits this might be what we need to take us to the top, if that's
our goal.

I will ask now - do people feel we need to incorporate as a legal entity
before we make this move?  I would presume that any promotional contract
would be in my name, and while a couple of you have met me I would understand
if not everyone was comfortable with that.  Can someone do an
honest-to-god inquiry and find out the costs/legal issues involved with
forming a not-for-profit legal entity?

Anyone up for an Apache Conference sometime next year?  :)

	Brian, on the waiting list now for WWW4...

View raw message