httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: everyone's happy
Date Fri, 01 Dec 1995 21:48:36 GMT
On Fri, 1 Dec 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> The problem with an Apache-like browser project will be that if anyone
> shows a flair for the project, Netscape will headhunt them :-)

No, the real problems are that

1) Browsers are a *lot* more complicated and are asked to do many more
things, in general, than a server does.

2) The barrier to entry is continually rising for browsers - if you're
not doing Java by March, who's going to use you?

3) The only way to give Netscape competition is to create one browser
with a consistant look and consistant functionality across Windows, Mac,
and Unix.  The majority of web servers out there are still on Unix boxes,
(or OS/2, which we have a port to, or Windows NT, which I'd like to see
an Apache port to) and are likely to stay that way.

4) Browser users generally require more hand holding than server users.

I have (slightly leaning towards "had") hope that HotJava could be this
mythical browser - cross platform, extensible, source code available, and
a dedicated production team.  However, it looks like Sun's not porting it
to the new Beta applet API, and will give it less priority than getting
the Java runtime into licensee products.

	Brian