httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David M. Oliver" <d...@newshare.com>
Subject Re: application/x-dvi
Date Thu, 07 Dec 1995 13:42:57 GMT
On Wed, 6 Dec 1995, Nathan Schrenk wrote:

> As I understand it, there are certain "standard" MIME types and subtypes
> as documented in RFC 1521.  Any time you come up with a new type or subtype
> that isn't one of the standard documented MIME types, convention is to
> preface the identifier with "x-" to denote it as "experimental" or something.
> Since dvi is probably not listed in RFC 1521, it has a subtype of x-dvi
> instead of just dvi.

	I thought I remembered something special about the type
	"application" though.  Maybe it was from the internet draft
	not the RFC.  I recall that since the type "application" is
	virtually limitless in known and unknown sub-types, the x-
	was not required.  God, maybe I am all wet on this.

> This is also why the MIME type for server parsed html is
> text/x-server-parsed-html instead of text/server-parsed-html.

	thanks for setting me straight on this Nathan

dmo
| David Oliver                                   dave@newshare.com |
| Managing Director-Technology                Newshare Corporation |