httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: mod_cgi.c (un)smartness (fwd)
Date Sun, 24 Dec 1995 07:33:27 GMT
On Sat, 23 Dec 1995, Andrew Wilson wrote:

> I've verified this.  Richard originally gave us the r0ng URL to
> gosee.  The correct URL exhibiting this weirdness is:

I disagree that it's weirdness. It's what's commonly known as a feature.
At least, I consider it suck. To recap (unless I missed something), the
'unsmartness' is that when a CGI returns sends

Location: /whatever

the server internally redirects to /whatever, sends /whatever, and then
(golly gosh gee whiz) relative links don't work. Complaining about this
is sorta like wrapping batteries in aluminum foil, putting them in the
freezer to 'preserve' them, and then complaining to the manufactuerer of
the freezer when the batteries don't work.

I mean, really. If you don't want that to happen, don't do it. No one is
forcing anyone to use internal redirects. If you use them, presumably you
can understand what they do, and write your scripts and pages
accordingly. If it breaks relative links (which it does, in many cases),
then don't use relative links!

This feature is *very* handy, and I use it all the time.