httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: Version Control
Date Tue, 05 Dec 1995 07:04:55 GMT
On Mon, 4 Dec 1995, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> So yeah, 1.0.x will have *no* extra functionality over 1.0.0, likewise
> 1.1.x will have no major functionality over 1.1.0, but 1.1.0 will contain
> every bugfix from the last release of 1.0.x.

Wait just one darn minute here. This means that the release of 1.1.0 is
the *only* time we're allowed to put in new features? Not only is this an
incredibly short period of time (if the wait for 1.0 is any indication),
but it gives no chance for bugs to be worked out, if we would like the
*.0 released to be relatively bug-free.

> I don't see any other way to do it.

I'd go for something like what the rest of the world does, tack a
development number on the end. We have 1.0, bug fixes for that go into
1.0.1, 1.0.2, etc... meanwhile, we work on 1.1b1, 1.1b2, up through
1.1b100 if we like, then release 1.1.0 when we're satisfied its good, and
1.1.1 and 1.1.2, etc are bugfixes for that. Meanwhile we work on 1.2b1,
etc...

They can (should) be public betas most of the time. But I think this
would work best, and be the least confusing for the public. After all,
when you see 1.0.1, say, vs. 1.1.0, wouldn't you pick 1.1.0, even if it's
riddled with bugs? But you wouldn't know that. In a choice between 1.0.1
and 1.1b4, it's readily evident that 1.1b4 is a beta, probably doesn't
work right... you can run it if you want.

I'll +1 that idea.