httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: The madness has started...
Date Sat, 02 Dec 1995 23:20:26 GMT
On Sat, 2 Dec 1995, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> I have created a "patches" subdirectory in /apache/dist.  The idea, as
> outlined in a previous post: we put minor-bug-fix patches there before
> the next release, so that we don't have to roll a new release with every
> bug fixed.  New functionality patches would not appear there - if they
> are new modules which are candidates for inclusion in the regular
> distribution then they are put in contrib/modules, for example.

I must say I don't like this idea. It just becomes a pain in the neck for
the user. As someone who has *had* to download software plus dozens of
patches, and then apply them, I can say this. Maybe it's easier for us,
and makes us look better (whatever that gets us), but it's not very nice.
I don't think the patches directory is a bad idea, neccessarily, but it
should have files with patches between revisions (e.g.
apache1.0.0.to.1.0.1.patch or whatnot).

In addition, the patches idea screws up our method of voting on changes.
I say either

a) Remove the logging and cookie modules from the binaries, release them
as 1.0, and throw them into /httpd/patches/for_Apache_1.0.1, and we'll
vote on them later.

b) Patch it to 1.0.1 now, and change both the source and the binaries.
(you can add a note to www.apache.org reminiscent of 0.6.4a, saying you
don't need it unless you used one of the modules in question).