httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nathan Schrenk <nschr...@neog.com>
Subject Re: application/x-dvi
Date Wed, 06 Dec 1995 23:18:07 GMT

On Wed, 6 Dec 1995, David M. Oliver wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Dec 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
>
> > Why is it treated differently (with the "x-") to postscript or pdf ?
>
> 	the name of the application is "xdvi" - no other reason I
> 	can think of to be honest.
>
> 	oh, unless within the type "application", the sub-type is
> 	an "extension".  But, that's a dumb idea.

As I understand it, there are certain "standard" MIME types and subtypes
as documented in RFC 1521.  Any time you come up with a new type or subtype
that isn't one of the standard documented MIME types, convention is to
preface the identifier with "x-" to denote it as "experimental" or something.
Since dvi is probably not listed in RFC 1521, it has a subtype of x-dvi
instead of just dvi.

This is also why the MIME type for server parsed html is
text/x-server-parsed-html instead of text/server-parsed-html.

Nathan

--
Nathan Schrenk						nschrenk@neog.com
Neoglyphics Media Corp.                              http://www.neog.com/