httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: 64.auth_type
Date Fri, 22 Dec 1995 14:13:29 GMT

> > > Of course, the patch doesn't cause any problems on SCO.
> > > Does SCO have any form of shared memory?
> >
> > Yes, it has the ipcs flavour, using shmat() and shmdt(). I seem to remember
> > having moments of fun with this and sbrk() in the (very distant) past.
>
> Having looked at the Solaris documentation, use of these shouldn't be too
> hard.
>
> It seems that shared-memory segments are persistant objects with their
> own name-space (a key). Would keying on "Apache" and the port number
> be sufficient.

If my memory serves me, the key is a 4-byte number, which is a pain. I suspect
that a configuration directive is the safest option, with some sensible
default.

On the other hand - if only children need access, then IPC_PRIVATE can be used
as the key (I think).

> In case it isn't already obvious, I'm very keen on Apache having
> shared memory between the processes. Not only for the scoreboard, but also
> for a hostname cache.

Makes sense - you'll then also need some kind of locking/queueing mechanism,
no?

Its clear that shared memory would be an advantage, since the scoreboard
problem was caused by the reopen taking more than 1 second!

Cheers,

Ben.

>  David.

London, England.