httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: New httpd_monitor diffs
Date Thu, 21 Dec 1995 19:21:53 GMT

> Some comments:
>
> On BSDI and FreeBSD, the logfile extension starts with 0 rather than a.
> So, the line
>
>      sprintf(ext, ".a%05d", thepid); /* slurp */
>
> becomes
>
>      sprintf(ext, ".%06d", thepid); /* slurp */
>
> On UnixWare and SGI, the logfile extension is radix 64 PID representation.
>
> This version appears to count the parent process. Is this true?
>
> Jim Jagielski liltingly intones:
> >
> > This will also be uploaded to hyperreal.com and apache.org into /incoming.
> > It'll be called apache_httpd_monitor.diffs.
> >
> chuck
> Chuck Murcko	Telebase Systems, Inc.	Wayne PA	chuck@telebase.com
> And now, on a lighter note:
> ... at least I thought I was dancing, 'til somebody stepped on my hand.
> 		-- J. B. White

The usual scheme used by mktemp is that it generates abcd.X12345 where 12345
is your PID and X is a carefully chosen character which makes the name unique.
There is no generally reliable way to deduce the temporary file name, the only
way to be accurate is to get the server to tell you. Or, use a better scheme
for generating the temp file name (for example, port number+host address is
unique, and can be determined externally). Best of all would be to have it
somewhere in the conf/logs area.

Cheers,

Ben.

London, England.