httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: New makefile
Date Thu, 14 Dec 1995 13:52:36 GMT

> I've re-uploaded my new makefile for Apache as
> for_Apache_1.1a0/65.new-make.tar.gz
>
> Advantages:
>
> * No need for the user to run Configure; make runs the script as necessary.
> * The user do not have to wade through the makefile finding his OS;
>   instead he type make <system> (less error-prone).
> * For a basic build, no files need be edited.
>
> Here's the new INSTALL file:
>
> ---
> Simple compilation of Apache
> ----------------------------
>
> 1. Type "make". This lists the machines apache can be built for; chose the
>    target that best matches your system.
> 2. Type "make <target>" substituting your system name for <target>.
>
> Expert compilation of Apache
> ----------------------------
>
> This release of Apache supports the notion of "optional modules". Follow
> these steps if you wish to select optional modules, or adjust the
> compilation options.
>
> 1. Edit the file config.in. This lists the modules which have been compiled
>    in, and also names the files containing them. You will need to uncomment
>    lines corresponding to those optional modules you wish to include or add
>    new lines corresponding to custom modules you have written. See API.html
>    for preliminary docs on how to do that.
>
>    Note that DBM auth has to be explicitly configured in, if you want it;
>    just uncomment the corresponding line.
>
> 2. Edit the options at the start of Makefile. If preferred, the makefile can
>    be left untouched, and the options passed to make on the command line.
>
> 3. Type "make <target>", where <target> is one of the systems listed by
>    "make". If your system is not listed, then use "unknown". You can set
>    make variables on the command line; for example,
>    "make solaris CC=cc CFLAGS=-O"
>

> OS-Specific Notes
> -----------------
>
> FreeBSD: Only add -m486 to EXTRA_FLAGS if you have 486 binary support in your
>          kernel.
>
> IRIX:    If you are using NIS and want user-supported directories, add "-lsun"
>          to EXTRA_LIBS.
>
> Linux:   Only add -m486 to EXTRA_FLAGS if you have 486 binary support in your
>          kernel.
>
> SCO ODT: You will need libcrypt_i from sosco.sco.com, files /SLS/lng225b.Z and
>          /SLS/lng225b.ltr.Z
>          Ignore warning C4047: 'initializing' : different levels of indirection
>          when compiling http_config.c; this is an error in the compiler.

Hmmm ... this one seems to have gone away, to be replaced by the very similar

warning C4047: '==' : different levels of indirection

in http_main.c, which I believe to be a compiler bug, but I'm reserving final
judgement until I clean the code to warning level 3 under SCO - which is a
_lot_ of cleaning! For example, here's the warnings for http_main.c:

http_main.c(270) : warning C4100: 'sig' : unreferenced formal parameter
http_main.c(311) : warning C4100: 'dummy' : unreferenced formal parameter
http_main.c(359) : warning C4016: 'mktemp' : no function return type, using int
as default
http_main.c(359) : warning C4047: '==' : different levels of indirection
http_main.c(420) : warning C4135: conversion between different integral types
http_main.c(454) : warning C4135: conversion between different integral types
http_main.c(483) : warning C4100: 'sig' : unreferenced formal parameter
http_main.c(550) : warning C4016: 'killpg' : no function return type, using int
as default
http_main.c(554) : warning C4016: 'shutdown' : no function return type, using in
t as default
http_main.c(599) : warning C4135: conversion between different integral types
http_main.c(611) : warning C4016: 'initgroups' : no function return type, using
int as default
http_main.c(915) : warning C4016: 'socket' : no function return type, using int
as default
http_main.c(923) : warning C4016: 'setsockopt' : no function return type, using
int as default
http_main.c(940) : warning C4016: 'bind' : no function return type, using int as
 default
http_main.c(950) : warning C4016: 'listen' : no function return type, using int
as default
http_main.c(984) : warning C4100: 'argc' : unreferenced formal parameter
http_main.c(984) : warning C4100: 'argv' : unreferenced formal parameter
http_main.c(1050) : warning C4035: 'main' : no return value

Worrying, huh?

>          Don't use the -Oe option to the 3.0.0a development system when
>          compiling mod_imap.c; it causes cc to die.
> ---
>
> To install the new makefile in Apache 0.8.[89]
>
> 1. Delete Configure, Configuration, Makefile, Makefile.tmpl, INSTALL
> 2. Unpack the tar file (modbuild, Makefile, config.in, INSTALL).
>
>  David.

London, England.