httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Weird behavior on linux (fwd)
Date Fri, 08 Dec 1995 08:42:27 GMT

> On Thu, 7 Dec 1995, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> > > If this is due to "20_score.0.8.14.patch", we need to get a new
> > > release out ASAP.
> > >
> > > I've asked another bug reporter to try reversing this patch.
> > > If he says that fixes it, then we should act quickly.
>
> I've been out of the country for a few days and I never got a chance to
> (SPARCstation 1, SunOS 4.1.3).  The number of "busy" children would rise
> steadily at the rate of about 25 an hour.  Each child was stuck in a
> system write and was swapped out (not much memory here).  I didn't get
> a chance to analyse these non-responsive children.
>
> I reversed 20_score.0.8.14.patch on Friday and we have not had a repeat of
> the problem since.  The number of "busy" children fluctuates with the
> access rate again.

Although I suggested that this patch could be responsible for the problem,
and reversting it seems to help, I can't understand for the life of me _why_
it causes the problem.

It would be most excellent if someone could core dump a stuck server to find
out where it is hanging.

One of my main rules of programming is "never fix a bug you don't understand".
Well, not never, but it really isn't a good idea.

Cheers,

Ben

London, England.