httpd-dev mailing list archives

From ga...@main.slink.com (Garey Smiley)
Subject Re: New feature: TGI?
Date Wed, 06 Dec 1995 23:44:16 GMT
On Wed, 06 Dec 1995 21:16:25 -0600 you wrote:

>> Benefits as I see then: (this is open to interpertaion ;-)
>> 	- Speed.
>> 	- Allows for complex applications.
>> 	- Any where you can put a URL (href, img, get, post, etc.)
>> 	  a TGI deamon can be called to do something.
>> 	- TGI  deamons can be started and stoped as needed
>> 	  without stoping the server.
>> 	- Rights to access TGI URLs are still controlled by the
>> 	  server's standard access control (access.conf, .htaccess, etc.).
>
>These features are all available in the module API that Robert Thau
>provided us in Apache.  That was my initial confusion about TGI.
>It's basically just another level of abstraction from the module API.
>Now if it could give us the ability to load Perl or Java applications
>into a module slot, you'd have something.... :-)

I'm not sure you understand what TGI is all about. It is not another
module API. It in no way matches the feature set of the module API.
TGI couldn't be used to add some functionality to the server like
mod_auth_dbm. The module API is used to add the TGI functionality to
Apache. It is an extended type of CGI. TGI deamons are dynamic. As I
understanded it modules can't be added or removed without recompiling
the server even if they are in DLDs. TGI directly relates to URLs as
referenced in html scripts or request by a browser, modules do not.

Garey Smiley
SoftLink Services
garey@slink.com
http://www.slink.com/