httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: application/x-dvi
Date Thu, 07 Dec 1995 02:20:05 GMT
> As I understand it, there are certain "standard" MIME types and subtypes
> as documented in RFC 1521.  Any time you come up with a new type or subtype
> that isn't one of the standard documented MIME types, convention is to
> preface the identifier with "x-" to denote it as "experimental" or something.
> Since dvi is probably not listed in RFC 1521, it has a subtype of x-dvi
> instead of just dvi.

Yep, that is correct.  It also doesn't work, because no program should
ever be distributed which uses "experimental" types.  The whole x- fetish
is a failed mechanism for avoiding name collision in mail headers --
it never worked in RFC 822 and I haven't the faintest notion why they
were silly enough to repeat the same mistake for MIME content types.

> This is also why the MIME type for server parsed html is
> text/x-server-parsed-html instead of text/server-parsed-html.

Yes, but it should have been the latter (or, better yet, server/parsed-html).
As far as I'm concerned, there is no value in using the "x-" prefix for
anything.

......Roy