httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: sponsorship of www.apache.org
Date Sat, 02 Dec 1995 11:53:02 GMT

> On Sat, 2 Dec 1995, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > 'snot fair - I want that toy! I think you should point out to them that you
> > are not in a position to tie the Apache main server down to your machine, so
> > the "powered by" could disappear (if we decided to move the main server for
> > some reason, like, for instance, 80% packet loss from Europe  ;-).
>
> I would expect that we would get the right to return the machine and
> remove the link with some amount of notice.

I presume that when you say "we", you mean you - the Apache Group, not being
incorporated, clearly can't make a contract, and therefore can do what it
likes, with or without notice. Do they realise this? Are they seeking to
make a deal with the Apache Group, or with you?

>  As for packet loss, I have
> two answers: 1) try to work a deal to get a Big ISP to put us on their T3
> to the backbone (by putting another link on the front page or something)

With the group's permission, I'm willing to approach European ISPs. We should
at least ask them to mirror.

> or 2) get the software company to set up apache mirrors on their foreign
> distribution sites.
>
> > And, yes please, I'd like a login, if only so I can move my patches to the
> > right directory!
>
> Okay, I'll set one up for you shortly.
>
> > D'you think they'd be up for some hardware/software for the developers too??  ;->
> >
> > Nice though this server will be for you, it does _nothing_ for the rest of
> > the Apache Group (as far as I can see).
>
> Ask anyone who's tried to log into Hyperreal in the middle of the day if
> they agree with that assessment :)

Is this processing bandwidth or network bandwidth, though?

>  This company could also help us
> with some of the development work - case tools, developing a test suite,
> etc... we'll be able to explore that route.

Before or after making the sponsorship deal? Would we need to be using their
hardware to use these tools?

Cheers,

Ben.

> 	Brian