httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Survey information...and names for Apache
Date Sat, 02 Dec 1995 01:01:01 GMT

> >>       In order for SSL hooks in Apache to be official I think the
> >> following is necessary:
> >>
> >> A) Primary Apache ftp site is outside the US
> >
> >Does that mean that a site in country X can be nominated as the
> >"primary" site and then hyperreal's /dist directory would mirror
> >the sources/binaries from X?
> >
> >If that's all there is to it, then it's a pain but trivial.
> >
> >I guess the trick is to not export the sensitive code out of the US
> >to X. So future builds would need to be made outside of the USA?.
>
> However, the US mirror would have to be set up so that non-US users
> could not access the software on it.
>
> Also, no US citizen could be involved in the Apache software project,
> as that would make them a collaborator. (Collaboration = export.)

> >> C) Changes to apache to support os_conn * rather than FILE *, by default.
> >
> >If you already have portable patches, then this sounds easy.
>
> If this does what I think it does, then I would want this implemented anyway,
> so that there could be a mod_cache which would cache the output of other
> modules.

Good idea. This would aid in the support of the Netscape ;bytes= extenstion,
which I approve of, even if they did try to use it when they shouldn't have...

Why did you want it?

BTW, it does do what you think it does, though currently less generally than
it would need to be to support this kind of thing. The changes would all be the
same, but some core code would have to work slightly differently. The end
result would be able to serve HTTPS or HTTP, too, without a recompile, which
would be cool (though pretty much unnecessary).

Cheers,

Ben.

>   David.

London, England.