httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: FreeSSL Webserver
Date Fri, 01 Dec 1995 16:50:41 GMT

> > I don't really understand why you don't want to call it Apache-SSL?
> >

> 	Because Apache-SSL is a generic term, I think, for an Apache
> with SSL, while my product is Apache-SSL with also the packaging and
> legal patent stuff all licensed and legal. (Moot point outside the us,
> but I have the incredible luck to live here... [and most of my friends
> live here too, so I don't want to leave. it sucks])
> 	So just calling it apache/ssl could confuse people between
> what I am distributing, and what you are distributing.

The trouble with calling it something completely different is that it makes
it look like you are distributing something completely different, which you
are not, just Apache-SSL, legalised+extras. Perhaps we could call it
Apache-SSL-US?

Apache-SSL may have been a generic term, but I have already hijacked it to
denote my particular implementation.

I assume you intend to stay with the basic Apache-SSL source tree, and follow
the upgrade path?

Cheers,

Ben.