httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <>
Subject Re: Survey information...and names for Apache
Date Fri, 01 Dec 1995 13:59:17 GMT
> > Perhaps the way to go is to make it possible for Apache-SSL to be a proper
> > module instead of a monster patch (which can probably be done without
> > explicitly inserting crypto hooks - its more a matter of abstracting the
> > idea of a "connection" a little).
> >
> > Then the main Apache could be worked on by anyone, and only the SSL module
> > would have to reside outside the US.
> Wouldn't that just cause the stupid rule makers to outlaw the hooks that
> the module API provides?

Well, according to the notes on the case that EFF are bringing against the
NSA and State Dept (remember - a few weeks back?) the stupid rule makers say
that they do _not_ prevent hooks. So, presumably, they can't ask the Apache
Group to remove them (not that they ever did).

It seems to me that given that they have made this as an official statement
the hooks should be no problem. Of course, their rules don't apply to me, so
its easy for me to be relaxed!

and Technical Director      Email:
A.L. Digital Ltd,           URL:
London, England.