httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Survey information...and names for Apache
Date Fri, 01 Dec 1995 00:00:53 GMT

> > 	In order for SSL hooks in Apache to be official I think the
> > following is necessary:
> >
> > A) Primary Apache ftp site is outside the US
>
> Does that mean that a site in country X can be nominated as the
> "primary" site and then hyperreal's /dist directory would mirror
> the sources/binaries from X?
>
> If that's all there is to it, then it's a pain but trivial.
>
> I guess the trick is to not export the sensitive code out of the US
> to X. So future builds would need to be made outside of the USA?.

I think this is the way it is. You are allowed to import but not export. I am
allowed to export within the restrictions mentioned (though it does include
chemical and biological weapons, too :-)

> > B) Warnings that commercial use of the SSL hooks are illegal within the US
>
> Warnings are easy to write.
>
> > C) Changes to apache to support os_conn * rather than FILE *, by default.
>
> If you already have portable patches, then this sounds easy.

They are extensive, but they leave an Apache that can be compiled to give
either httpd or httpsd (httpd being identical, functionally, to standard
Apache).

> > D) More limitations on redistribution (no nuclear weapons use,
> > basically, as outlined by Ben's distribution rules.)
>
> a pain, but not difficult.

A major pain, for me. I have to do more than just require people to conform,
I have to "make reasonable enquiries". My interpretation is that a statement
of intent is "reasonable", in the circumstances.

> > > It seems silly to splinter Apache into "related projects" if there's
> > > no real reason to do so.
> > 	I agree.
>
> Okay lets make plans post-1.0

+1 to that

> If we can distribute Apache with SSL, while staying within the stupid
> rules, it's one more nail in the coffin of the stupid rule makers. Let's
> go for it.

and double+1 to that (despite the commercial advantage it gives us non-US
companies).

Cheers,

Ben.

> rob