httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@hotwired.com>
Subject Re: Number of Virtual Servers
Date Mon, 18 Dec 1995 17:35:42 GMT
In message <m0tRhX8-0000miC@mamba.ast.cam.ac.uk>, David Robinson writes:
>Currently the children cannot open the log files because they don't have
>permission, as they do not run as root.

Given that any server that would run into these problems has to be admined
by someone with a clue, we could get around this by suggesting the server
run in a group that has write access to the logs.

>No. You can have 1024 file descriptors under Solaris 2.4, but only 256
>file handles (i.e. a FILE * returned by fopen.)

Excuse me while I go barf.  I notice that FOPEN_MAX is 20 according to
stdio.h.  So they're doing some magic inside their libc.  We could get
around it by using a less brain-damaged stream io replacement.

Dean