httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew <and...@aaaaaaaa.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: a possible bug (compat prob?) in Apache 1.0 (fwd)
Date Tue, 26 Dec 1995 14:49:16 GMT
must .. remain .. calm, need  ..  to  .. go .. out more.

So this has nothing to do with mod_cookies.c, period.

What it does have to do with is this cryptic line in the NS spec
for how the 'Set-Cookie' header gets sent out by the server:

	http://www.netscape.com/newsref/std/cookie_spec.html

	"Additional Notes
	Multiple Set-Cookie headers can be issued in a single
	server response."

So, how do you suppose they do this?  There seem to be 2 options:

1)	Set-Cookie: Foo=Bar
	Set-Cookie: Baz=Bumble

2)	Set-Cookie: Foo=Bar, Baz=Bumble

Apache breaks (1).  Outgoing headers are manipulated using table_set
which overwrites previous values (table_append anyone?), and so
only the last Set-Cookie: header coming from the script is honoured.
This doesn't happen with multiple 'header:' lines coming from the
client, when:

	Accept: foo/bar
	Accept: baz/bumble

are transmogrified into

	Accept: foo/bar, baz/bumble

by the server, before being made available to modules or CGI.

As it stands the server *is* able to send out a header like (2),
which means that the script sending these headers has to know that
it needs to use comma delimiters.

Ay 	[who clearly has nothing better to do today than send spurious
	e-mail around the globe]