httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: Number of Virtual Servers
Date Fri, 22 Dec 1995 18:45:01 GMT
  After beating the drum for this awhile back, I found that the pipe
  to a "burster" program was too prone to failure to be trusted.

That wasn't what I was suggesting --- it's far simpler to have a unified
log *file*, and run the burster off-line as a cron job (preceding whatever
other analysis tools you happen to have).

  The suggestion that Dean made a few days ago makes more and more
  sense to me. Why not allow the server to manage as many open
  descriptors as it can?

As I've already said, because you'd wind up giving CGI scripts permission
to open the logs themselves and scribble on them.

rst