httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: 64.auth_type
Date Tue, 19 Dec 1995 17:29:32 GMT

> >Well, that sort of ties in with my feelings but I'm still concerned about
> >the idea of releasing untested code. No-one's running 1.0.1 since it's just
> >a set of patches to already released code. If you just decide one day
> >that the last bug seemed pretty serious so it's time to chuck the thing out
> >the door then where's the quality control for that release? Just because
> >it's a bug fix update doesn't make it any less of a release.
>
> This is a good point. What do you suggest?

You need a group of people who are willing to run the 1.0.X code branch
and let us know how things are going. If it becomes well known that
we're looking for volunteers to track our "stable" branch then I'm sure
people will do that. That would give three groups of users

1) Mission critical users who should stick with the last main release.

2) Bleeding edge developers who will track the development sources and don't
care if the thing fries their machine. Now that there's a code branch
I suspect that development will be a lot less restrained than it has been
in the past and some more wide ranging changes will start to occur which
will de-stabilise the server.

3) Those who are running "live" servers but can put up with the odd bug
on occasion and are happy to update the server fairly regularly to pick up
new patches. I'd say this would be similar to tracking the sources during the
code freeze prior to 1.0.

--
  Paul Richards. Originative Solutions Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)