httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "problems compiling on Alpha OSF1" on OSF/1
Date Tue, 19 Dec 1995 10:11:41 GMT

> > Why would the fact that it's a file descriptor make any difference?
>
> Because file descriptors are small.

That's a bogus assumption too since it's most definately implementation
dependant.

> Oh yes, as is cc on SCO in warning about 3,000,000 missing function
> definitions, signed/unsigned mismatches and lots of other good stuff. I was
> only trying to suggest that the cleanup belongs in 1.1.

It certainly is and if you're seeing signed/unsigned mismatches I'm willing
to bet there are very real bugs in the code. Yes, it's a 1.1 issue but
we shouldn't take the attitude that you just need to shut the compiler
up, it's easy to stick in a cast to shut up a warning, it's very often
the case that that is not the correct fix since it just masks the real
problem.

--
  Paul Richards. Originative Solutions Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)