httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: Number of Virtual Servers
Date Mon, 18 Dec 1995 19:05:54 GMT
  Given that any server that would run into these problems has to be admined
  by someone with a clue, we could get around this by suggesting the server
  run in a group that has write access to the logs.

... thus, in effect, giving the server (and, implicitly, potential rogue
CGI scripts) permission to open the logs as well.  (This is why permission
to open the log files is an issue).

I'm not in the position of trying to run with large numbers of virtual
hosts here, so my comments may be a bit off base.  Still, I haven't seen
much reaction to the suggestion of having a single log file with entries
labeled with the vhost, for later splitting if necessary; this neatly
handles the descriptor hogging problem.  Any comments?

rst