httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <>
Subject Re: Set AUTH_TYPE in CGI scripts
Date Thu, 14 Dec 1995 12:20:11 GMT
> > Apache 1.0.0 does not set the AUTH_TYPE variable in CGI scripts.
> > A patch follows. I'll ack the bug reporter.
> >
> > Note: Apache currently keeps the userid and auth_type on a per connection
> > basis, rather than a per request basis. This will have to be fixed
> > before Apache can have multiple requests per connection.
> Now in for_Apache_1.0.0/65.auth_type_in_cgi.patch
> >  David.
> When do we want to call a halt and get this fix out?  Any objections to
> doing it over the weekend.  Rob H, Roy F, and a bunch of other people
> won't be around to vote, but I think the mandate is to just get on with
> it.

I'd wait until the end of next week. There's some worrying things happening

1) The patches aren't being tested by many people so who knows what hidden
   problems they'll throw up. Don't tell me these are simple patches and
   that the server isn't so complex that people can't work out what's going
   on (I've seen that argument used recently). If that was the case there
   wouldn't still be serious bugs in the thing would there?

	ALL code needs testing because human beings make silly mistakes.

2) People are still finding serious bugs in 1.0 (new one in today).
   Credibility falls off rapidly if a supposedly "stable" branch has
   patch fix updates on a frequent basis. People who choose to run the
   "stable" servers don't expect to have to fix critical bugs on a
   regular basis, at least, I wouldn't.

I think we should get these patches tested more thouroughly over the
next week and release 1.0.1 before we break up for christmas. Another
week may shake out a few more serious bugs.

There needs to be an accessible area where patches can be retrieved by
end-users. A web page should be set up which lists known bugs in a
particular release and what patch to apply for the impatient.

This would allow us to make patches available early on an "as is" basis
for those people who have been tripped up by the bug and need an
immediate fix. We can avoid lots of little incremental releases that way
giving us time to stress test the bug fix releases properly and to
batch the bug fix patches over a longer time period.

  Paul Richards. Originative Solutions Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)

View raw message