httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Sussman <mydd...@vidya.com>
Subject Re: One more patch for 1.0.0
Date Thu, 14 Dec 1995 02:34:29 GMT
David Robinson writes:

> Could your new code only append r->args to the new URI if rr->args was empty?
> i.e. take the query string from the request if the DirectoryIndex did
> not specifiy any query string.

This seems reasonable but it allows a DirectoryIndex command to unconditionaly
override the current query string.  Is this desireable or would it be better
perhaps to merge the two query strings?

I will submit a new version of the patch given your suggestions.

As for all the other arguments which have arisen due to my submission of this
patch for 1.0.0 I have two things to say:

1) As far as I am concerned, this is a bug, and a serious one as far as my
applications are concerned.  While this is not a bug that will cause the server
to go up in flames, I think it is still worthy of consideration beyond a simple
"enhancement".  If it were not a serious and immediate issue to me, I would not
have undertaken to fix it myself or presumed to share the fix the formal
developement group.  I would simply have made a bug report and hoped that it
got fixed in some unknown future.  I was aware of the new 1.1a0 branch but
as the only discernable discussion concerned 1.0.0, I wrote my patch for it.
My appologies for creating a row.

2) Given the volume of traffic on this list and the lack of any easily
discoverable or seemingly up to date resources for would be developers,
it is very difficult to keep up with the politics and procedures of this
development group.  I am more than happy to contribute my time to aid in
the development of apache but there are significant barriars to a newcomer
like myself due to the lack of information.  Just finding this list at all
was a monumental task, not to mention smoking out the developement area
on www.hyperreal.com/httpd.  After all of this, I am still not sure how
to submit a patch other than as e-mail to this list or if it is really even
welcome.

-adam