httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Patch 62
Date Wed, 13 Dec 1995 16:06:30 GMT
I'm at WWW4, so I really don't have time to do a full patch evaluation.
Accordingly, I have no opinion on the escape_html patch for inclusion in
the 1.1 tree.  However, I vote -1 on it for 1.0.x --- its effect is to
reintroduce code which was commented out of the original NCSA directory
indexing because it caused problems.  I'm not sure I know what those
problems are, but given the amount of time we've had to look it over and
test it (i.e., none), it seems clear that the only way we're going to
find out is the hard way, and that is not the sort of thing I want in
a 1.0.x release.  (It seems clear that in at least one reasonable person's
judgment in the past, Rob McCool's, these problems that it causes, whatever
they are, are worse than the problems it cures).

To put it another way, I think that further 1.0.x releases should be for
*critical* bugfixes only, and this simply does not meed my threshold for
criticality.  If you don't like it, get started on 1.1.

rst