httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: One more patch for 1.0.0
Date Wed, 13 Dec 1995 11:54:38 GMT

> >Adam, is this patch in response to a reported bug?  It seems to be a
> >feature enhancement.  I'm very wary of introducing anything into the
> >source of the 'stable' server that is not *directly* inspired by the
> >need to stop the beast from core-dumping.
>
> Then Apache development will grind to a halt, if in fact it has not already
> done so. I really cannot understand this attitude; it's almost saying
> `this server is so complicated that even an Einstein couldn't modify it
> succesfully'. I could probably accept it if as a result there was
> some positive action on the development version, but there isn't.
> Beware; at this rate we may have another Shambhala (or even another Apache).

There's a definite lack of any plan whatsoever here.

1.0 is out, warts and all, for better or worse, stop bloody playing with it
and get on with developing the next release!!

The *ONLY* work to be applied to 1.0 should be "this will burn your house
down if you don't apply it) type of patches. The server meltdown fits this
bill. We might want to ask ourselves how 1.0 got out with that serious a
bug in it anyway.

Everyone seems to be trying to bug fix 1.0 as though the release never
happened. Forget about it, it's done. Let's get on with 1.1 and make
sure that *it's* rock solid.

--
  Paul Richards. Originative Solutions Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)