httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: CVS
Date Wed, 06 Dec 1995 22:45:46 GMT

> My concern about cvs remote security is that rsh itself is a bad thing to
> let through a firewall (too bad there isn't already support for an rexec
> version, a password is at least marginally better than rsh).  We have an
> 'insecure' net here that we could put the repository on, and HotWired
> has a machine that could do it.  Housing the repository isn't too hard,
> as long as nobody actually builds on that machine.  Response time to
> this machine would be pretty much the same as to hyperreal.

Good point. I don't think that's a major problem though. If you can't
use remote cvs then you'll just have to login (using telnet) and use it
directly.

> It seems that none of us have experience with both sup and cvs remote
> to be able to compare the two.  Although one of the advantages Paul
> mentioned was that with sup you have a local copy of the whole repository.
> Which is useful when you're trying to figure out when a particular piece
> of code changed.
>
> What transport layer does sup use?

TCP.
I'd tend to suggest SUP anyway as a separate tool to cvs even if
we decide to make use of remote cvs.

--
  Paul Richards. Originative Solutions Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)