httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: Voting Summary
Date Wed, 06 Dec 1995 20:22:26 GMT

> > Maybe someone with more kerb knowledge could comment on whether
> > it's feasible for a kerberos server to be set up for the purpose of
> > authenticating krsh for remote cvs.  It's much better than long haul
> > NFS.  It builds patches on the fly so as to transmit the minimal amount
> > of data.
>
> Sounds nifty - isn't Kerberos another of those things with, er, export
> difficulties?

Umm, there are kerberos implementations outside the US, FreeBSD has one.

The question is, where is the cvs repository going to live? That needs to
be agreed before anything else is discussed since it tends to influence
the following questions :-)

If the repository ends up on hyperreal then export restrictions aren't
a problem anyway.

On the other hand, do we really need this level of authentication? The thing
about cvs is that you have a full history log, you can back out changes
and see who did what. The only thing you have to protect against is
someone nuking your repository files and that's a general security
issue for the site and not this project.

--
  Paul Richards. Originative Solutions Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)