httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Protocol server
Date Tue, 05 Dec 1995 11:16:20 GMT

>         o       Apache 1.0 base
>         o       Enhance and clean-up the "Module API"
>         o       Create a New "Protocol API"
>         o       Server core modifications to make the code MT safe
>         o       Extra work on the DLD module

Sounds along the right lines to me.

Me and Andy have talked about a super-server that can talk more than just
HTTP when we've been sitting at the bar in the Tavern musing about the
future of the Web. (For those who didn't go to Cardiff the Tavern is a
little haunt we frequent, er frequently :-)

>         3) A solid platform for various other server technologies that
>            need to be developed.  We need to prototype some new things
>            for future projects here, the current Apache is good but not quite
>            good enough to seemlessly do protocol reasearch, a Protocol
>            API would be a good solution.

This is what I'm interested in looking at, completely new protocols that do
weird and wonderfull things that HTTP isn't suitable for. If a server
existed that understood a number of protocols then HTTP could be just one
of them and it would be completely back compatible with all existing web
servers but capable of doing all the neat new things that these new protocols
can do as well.

It'll need client side software too but the same goes there, current browsers
will just use HTTP while the newer browsers can select the protocol most
appropriate for the task that needs to be carried out.

--
  Paul Richards. Originative Solutions Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)