httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: resend the announcement
Date Tue, 05 Dec 1995 10:55:53 GMT

> We were discussing the usability of www.apache.org, not the usage of Apache.
> I don't personally believe that the difficulty of using www.apache.org explains
> the incredibly low usage in .ac.uk (not all of it, anyway). I suspect that this
> best explained by funding, or rather, the lack of it.

Umm, I'd have though lack of funding would be in Apache's favour.

I think it's more likely to be apathy.

> > I have an account on a .co.uk site. That link is far superior
> > to the .ac.uk link  (guess why  :-).
>
> That may be so, but it is still complete crap.

Hmm, well, the ac.uk network (JANET) is probably one of the
biggest in the world in terms of bandwidth. SuperJANET, which
Cardiff is on, is a 150Mb backbone. I think the problem is
just that there are a LOT of users. If your experience is just
Cardiff then the Movie database doesn't help :-)

I can assure you that the co.uk network is a poor companion.  The co.uk
network is not a single network of course by any means so you'd have to say
which bit of it you're on. Most of the UK ISP's have 1 or 2Mbit
backbones with at most the same to the US.

--
  Paul Richards. Originative Solutions Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)