httpd-dev mailing list archives

From sameer <sam...@c2.org>
Subject Re: big problem on SunOS
Date Mon, 04 Dec 1995 23:09:41 GMT

> 1)	Reboot yer box, what happens first /tmp getting cleared or httpd
> 	getting started.  Are you starting httpd from rc.local?

	I looked through my rc* scripts, and found that
/tmp is getting nuked after rc.local (hence after the httpd
starts, as I am starting it from there.)

> 2)	Play god, type 'rm /tmp/htstatus.*' (make a note of the boss
> 	process ID before you do this, and have a window ready to
> 	'kill -TERM logs/httpd.pid'.  Watch your machine die by typing
> 	'ps -ax | grep httpd'.

	Did that, no apparent effects. Still serving web pages, all
three servers are running (1 normal, 2 SSL), load at the usual 3-4, 1.
Removed the files about 10 minutes ago, or so.

> 3)	All bets are off if you've been smart enough to put htstatus.* in
> 	/var

	perhaps the htstatus files should by default go in a log
directory in a future release? .. which also leads me to the core dump
issue. I noticed that core dumps go in ServerRoot -- but ServerRoot is
*purposefull* not writeable by nobody, the uid of the webserver, so
the dumps got lost.. When I was trying to preserve dumps I tempoarily
mad eserver root mode 1777, but that's not a good way to have things
all the time. Perhaps a LogRoot directive may be useful, which is the
dir where all the logs go by default if they are not hardpathed, and
where coredumps go.. (I plan on doing that for the c2.org servers)

--
sameer						Voice:   510-601-9777
Community ConneXion				FAX:     510-601-9734