httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: sponsorship of www.apache.org
Date Mon, 04 Dec 1995 11:05:55 GMT

> > +1 on trading a "powered by X" icon for X itself.
>
> What do you mean?

If company Y has offered Organic a machine X in return for an icon
on the Apache page which says "Powered by X", then I'm in favour of
accepting the offer/deal.

Brian has said that he'll setup more accounts for apache developers if
he gets the new machine. That's a good enough reason for me.

The arguments against it (from what I read) appear to be;

   - we gain nothing from this
       not true, we gain some extra creditibilty (as mentioned by Paul)
       as well as more resouces for developers (Brian's offer of accounts)

   - we might look like we're tied to hardware X
       At first glance maybe to some visitors, but anyone with half a
       brain will soon realise otherwise

   - we're better off looking for improved net access
       Yeah, right, but while we look, lets install the new machine at Organic.

Now it might be that I read too much into some of the responses to Brian's
message, and that everyone's happy to let Organic take the machine on
Apache's behalf. If you do object to the deal, please explain why.

rob