httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aram Mirzadeh <...@qosina.com>
Subject Re: Where goest Apache?
Date Mon, 04 Dec 1995 03:22:50 GMT

> When did Apache make the switch FROM being a cool, fast and reliable
> Web-server that was based on "patched" NCSA code and that existed because
> it was obvious the NCSA was going to start licensing their server soon
> TO a "product" that we will have "buyers" for?

My point exactly.  We're just another freeware product, if we starting
taking ads for compiles and then start accepting this from this company
and that from that company what's next?  We're here to produce a good
product for people to use for free... that's it.

> I'm all for ourselves becoming some sort of Apache Organization, but
> I'm really getting upset (and tired) of commercialization of anything
> 'Net related being the rule instead of the exception nowadays. Am I being
> an old fuddy-duddy when it bugs me when it seems like people don't like
> contributing patches or code anymore (or volunteering time) without thinking
> how they can make a few bucks off of it? Is "selling out" the main
> characteristic of gurus now?

Very good point.

> Maybe I'm reading this all wrong; maybe the whole original intent was to
> be able to maintain some control (ala FSF) over Apache. That's good. That's
> proper. I'm all for that. But I just hope that we don't start down a path
> that becomes more commercial as time goes along.
>
> Anyway, that's my 2 cents... Feel free to ignore it <g>

Add my 2 cents to it.

--

			       Aram Mirzadeh
		     awm@qosina.com,awm@hyperreal.com