httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p...@netcraft.co.uk>
Subject Re: sponsorship of www.apache.org
Date Sun, 03 Dec 1995 13:17:43 GMT

> If we're going to be a non-for-profit organization we really can't be selling
> ad space on the front page on our home page.  I'm sure if we do get more and
> more share of the market we're going to get more of these types of inquires.

Of course you can. That's one of the main reason to set up a
not-for-profit, so you can receive money from people. You just have
to make sure you spend it all :-)

> So the question is do we really want to centerlize apache.org, and get tied
> into something.  Who's name is going to go on this agreement?  We don't have
> an organization yet, so as fasr as the law is consered, we don't even exist.
>
> I'm starting to babbel, so I'lll go back to the original question.  Do we need
> the extra stuff?  Is there something wrong with what we have?  A small 386DX40
> running linux can handle the pages if you ask me.  And I'm willing to supply
> the hardware and the software as well as the setup if need be.
>
> MHO is a -1... ( not that it's up a vote, but that's what I have to say )

I disagree, if Apache is going to really compete with people like
Netscape in the corporate world it needs a more formal organisation
behind it becuase the people who sign checks in these places *like*
signing checks and would rather buy a server from Netscape than
run a free one. Having a well known hardware vendor be a sponsor would be good
kudos as long as the deal doesn't restrict the way the project can be run.

--
  Paul Richards, Netcraft Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)