httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p...@netcraft.co.uk>
Subject Re: incorporation
Date Sun, 03 Dec 1995 13:10:46 GMT

> > http://www.service.com/tcc/
> >

> 	I'm rather wary of such a service. You can incorporate
> yourself and do the same thing that they do for you for not much more
> difficulty by getting the Nolo Press book on forming a california
> non-profit.
>
> 	I'll ask my lawyer next week about how much it would cost to
> incorporate a non-profit.  (I don't know yet even how much he's going
> to charge to incorporate my for-profit biz.. )

About $1500 when FreeBSD looked into it.

In the UK you can set up a non-profit company for about £250 (I wonder if that
sterling symbol will work), which is about the third of the cost.

If people are serious about this me and Andrew and the other UK folks could
look into this. I looked into it for FreeBSD and there's no problem
with having overseas folks on the non-profit equivalent of the
Board of Directors.

The way it works is that there's a management committee instead of directors
and members instead of shareholders. The difference in terminology means that
no-one holds any shares or is entitled to any dividends. All the money is
distributed to "research" projects. Members can be individuals or
corporations.

We'd have to draw up company articles (rules) and then the membership I think
would elect the management committee who would "run" the company on a daily
basis.

Advantages: we could collect donations and sponsorship to finance the project,
equipment, meetings, even paid consultancy for particular tasks and have
a body to hold the copyright :-)

Disadvantages: it's more work for those involved running the company.

--
  Paul Richards, Netcraft Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)