httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p...@netcraft.co.uk>
Subject Re: The madness has started...
Date Sun, 03 Dec 1995 12:59:33 GMT

> No big deal. I have a 1.0.1 source release packaged and ready to
> be put on hyperreal. We can then begin building and providing
> binaries as well. The sooner we make a decision, the fewer people
> out there will have 1.0.0.
>
> All I need is some group support.

I don't think an immediate 1.0.1 release is a good idea.

1) An update this quick makes the group look incompetent
2) There'll be other probems found as time goes by.

It'd be better to just accept that 1.0 has a few problems, collect the
patches over the next few weeks and release 1.0.1 just before christmas with
all the little glitches that have been found ironed out.

I think the binary release should be built from the 1.0 sources, having binaries
built from different sources is a bad thing to do. The actual compiled in
modules is a different question though.

I think having a 1.0 patch directory is a good way to support the
last "official" release while wild development can start taking
place on a 1.1 src tree.

There's nothing wrong with a number of 1.0.X releases that incorporate bug
fixes that are found over the next few months as long as they're not coming
out every other day.

For 1.1 I'd suggest that an alpha and beta *release* cycle takes place. i.e.
the potential release code is actually made publically available as though
it was an actual release but is clearly marked as being alpha or beta
software so that it gets widely used to find the various bugs that the
regular developers might not come across

--
  Paul Richards, Netcraft Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)