httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew <and...@aaaaaaaa.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: New manual
Date Sat, 02 Dec 1995 14:49:02 GMT
> > NCSA doesn't ship with documentation (last I was aware).  netsite doesn't
> > ship with electronic documentation.  Does CERN?  Providing a pointer to
> > the web site is sufficient in my opinion.
> >
> 	In my opinion, apache is better than all the rest, and should
> set a higher standard for itself. (Hence I think putting docs in the
> distribution is a good thing.)

I think putting the documentation in the source distribution is a bad
thing.  Previous experience with other software suggests that it'd be
more sensible to keep the most extensive documentation separate from
the code.  The logistics of having to respin all the damned binary
releases every time someone corrects a typo in the documentation would
be a drag.

Mainly however, it makes no sense to create a dependency between the
source tree and the document tree (such as it is).  It's clearly easier
for David to just upload a new version of the docs to /apache/docs/
whenever he gets the time, and without the need to coordinate some
godaweful neo-software release.

I think the documentation (David's manual) should remain separate to
the source release.  I think it will be to our advantage if people
understand that the authorotative documentation is on www.apache.org/docs
(or wherever) rather than in their local copy of apache_1.0.0/docs.

Ay.