httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew <and...@aaaaaaaa.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: sponsorship of www.apache.org
Date Sat, 02 Dec 1995 01:31:29 GMT
Brian:
> I've been contacted by a Rather Large computer software/hardware vendor
> interested in giving the Apache project a rather nice hardware package (well
> into the 5 figures), in exchange for being able to put a logo on the Apache
> home page saying "Powered by ...".  Before I divulge the name of the company,
> I would like to ask people's opinions on the subject.  The only condition
> presented to me is the placement of their logo, probably exclusively (meaning
> no other companies), on the home page - nothing about stopping support for
> other platforms or anything silly like that.  All of hyperreal would upgrade
> to this new machine, so everyone who has accounts currently would keep
> theirs, and I could add quite a few more too.
>
> Thoughts?

Some, if not many of the people involved in the Apache Project will become
very rich as a direct result of their association with the name 'Apache'.
How they do it, and when, has always been beyond the scope of the project
itself.  If people are able to achieve these things without harming the
project then this is good.

If the project needs to relocate to another place, for whatever reason,
and that place is not under organic's jurisdiction then preseumably this
brings into question the status of any sponsorship contract that the
company has entered into.  There may be a conflict of interest between
what's right for the project (howsoever that is perceived) and what is
right for organic [sorry, I don't know what brian's organisation's real
name is, clueless as ever; correct me if I'm wrong].

Whichever hardware/software company it may be (it isn't difficult to
guess, frankly) there still remains the fact that Apache is intentionally
a product able to perform well on a wide variety of hardware/software
platforms, and - to date - has not been made to favour a specific
hardware/software combination.  Future incarnations of Apache may feature
functionality which is difficult to replicate on as wide a range of
platforms as are currently supported (multithreading springs to mind)
Any efforts focused upon supporting these functions may detract from a
wider goal of bringing an efficient implementation to as many people as
possible, and in a cost effective way; so not requiring exotic hardware and
software.  Here there resides another possible conflict of interest
[*absolutely*, *positively*, *NOTHING*, is ever free on the internet];
the sponsor may prefer that work is not done which might impact upon
their market lead.

> 	Brian

It's a nice feeling to be wanted.  It's a nice feeling to be able to cope
when you're not wanted.

Ay.