httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: 1.0.0 & BSDI
Date Fri, 01 Dec 1995 17:04:24 GMT

> Currently running Apache 1.0.0 on a BSDI 2.0.1 box.  As soon as I start
> up the daemon, I have 5 child processes existing - and this is before any
> hits to the server.
>   Any reason for this, or any way of changing this?

The child processes are sitting there ready to go - this is called
pre-forking (*). It means that they can start processing a request from
a running start. (*)It's also called pre-forking because after servicing
a request, they go back into a "ready to go" mode, instead of exit()ing
and being replaced by a new forked child for each request.

This is what makes Apache fast. Unless you have lots of CGI, this
setup keeps the load on the machine very low, typically <1.0 even with
very high hit rates.

read the blurb in the distribution httpd.conf

Look for MinSpareServers, MaxSpareServers, MaxClients  etc